Thursday, March 31, 2011

How To: Make Cream Cheese and Whey


I use whey quite a bit now and have been asked where I get it. I make it and you can too! Easy!

You can start with raw milk, or you can also use plain yogurt.

If you are using raw milk start with Step 1, plain yogurt - skip to Step 2.

Step 1:
Fill a quart jar with the raw milk, screw on the lid and let it sit on the counter at room temperature for 1-4 days. When it has separated (clear liquid on top, white on bottom) you will be ready for Step 2.

Step 2:
Line a strainer set over a bowl with a clean tea towel. Pour in the yogurt or separated milk, cover and let stand at room temperature for several hours. The whey will run into the bowl and the cream cheese will be in the towel. Gently tie up the towel with a string and let hang over the bowl until all the whey has dripped out. Store your whey in a glass jar and cream cheese in a covered container in the fridge. The (cultured!) cream cheese will keep for about a month and the whey for about 6 months.

I will be sharing various ways I use my whey (ha!) in future posts. Enjoy the benefits of live bacteria by eating your homemade cream cheese raw. Sweeten it with some raw honey and you'll have a delicious spread for sprouted bagels!

1 comment:

  1. I just made butter with the raw milk cream today. I am so excited to get the recipe for Cream Cheese and Whey. Thank you so much. Kandis

    ReplyDelete