Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Chicken and Shrimp Soup


Oh, wow, this soup is so good! If you like things HOT, cajun, and gumbo-y, this will become your go-to recipe. When I subscribed to Mark's Daily Apple I received a recipe e-book which includes this recipe. I'll include my notes as we go. (Disclaimer: Mark's Daily Apple believes in evolution and I totally do not!)

Heat oil in a large soup pot:
1/4 cup olive oil

Add veggies and cook 5 minutes:
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I left this out)
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced

Add garlic and cook 2 minutes:
2 tbsp minced garlic

Add following and saute a few minutes:
2 cups diced tomatoes (I diced up fresh tomatoes)
2 cups cauliflower "rice" (1/2 head of cauliflower chopped in the food processor until rice-like in size and shape)
1/2 tsp. cayenne (Very hot! I liked it, but the rest of the gang was begging for mercy...)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt

Add chicken and cook 5 minutes:
2 cups chopped chicken (I chopped up raw, boneless, skinless thighs)

Turn heat down to low, add stock and simmer 20-30 minutes:
8 cups chicken stock (I think you could use as little as 4 cups, depends on how soupy you want it)

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes:
1 lb. shrimp
1/4 cup scallions (I didn't have any)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. super duper delicious!!!! truly one of my most favorite soups ever...i will probably double meat and veggies just to make it more hearty :)
    thanks so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete