Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Coconut Flour

I have been trying to eat less grains lately and just came across Cheeseslave's Coconut Flour Bread recipe.

I already ordered 1 lb of coconut flour (grain free, gluten free, low carb!) this month to try out some other recipes I have come across (muffins, cookies).  When I saw this recipe for bread -and how easy it is!- I began wondering how much more it would cost to just make this for the whole family rather than go to all the trouble of making my whole wheat sourdough bread (I feed the starter, mix the batter, knead, let rise, then bake - a 24 hour process).

Here's the breakdown (based on what I ordered this month):

that's 35 cups of flour
it takes 2.5 cups to make 1 loaf of bread
that's $.48/loaf

that's 7.75 cups of flour
it takes .75 cups of flour to make 1 loaf of bread (coconut flour absorbs lots of liquid, so you don't have to use as much)
that's $.48/loaf

Sweet!

You can buy either of these in larger amounts, which would obviously lower the price per loaf.


I have not actually made this loaf of bread yet, it is on my to-do list.  Do any of y'all have experience with coconut flour?

No comments:

Post a Comment