Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chicken Taquitos


This was my first time to make taquitos.  I thought it would be time-consuming, but it really wasn't that bad.  Here are my "just winging it" instructions.

I used leftover cooked chicken, chopping it up kind of fine.  I then seasoned the meat with whatever I felt like: sea salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder...

Then, heat some oil (coconut or palm oil)  in a skillet or griddle.  I used just enough oil to almost cover the bottom of the pan.  Lay your corn tortillas in the hot oil and leave them just long enough to become pliable (a few seconds).  Pull them off, fill with chicken, roll up and place seam-side down on a  plate.  Repeat this process until you've used up all of your chicken. 

Add some more oil to your pan if necessary and place the taquitos seam-side down in the hot oil.  Let cook several minutes until crispy, then flip over cooking the other side.  Remove and drain on paper towels.

I served these with some last minute Spanish rice (I mixed leftover brown rice with some salsa), and soaked black beans.  Next time it'd be nice to have some guacamole, or ranch dressing, or green sauce, or queso...  to dip the taquitos in.   These were a big hit with everyone in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment