Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cultured, Garlic-Dill Pickles

I don't have a picture yet because my cucumbers aren't ready, but here is the recipe I have used the past 2 years to culture my own dill pickles.  These pickles are still RAW and PROBIOTIC.  How awesome is that?  And this method is so much easier than canning; however they do need cold storage.

1/4 cup whey
1 tbsp Celtic sea salt (my mother has informed me - from her readings on health and such - that Celtic sea salt is preferred over RealSalt)
1 tsp dill seed
1 clove garlic, whole
3 black peppercorns, whole (or more to taste)
filtered water
fresh cucumbers

Place whey, salt, dill seed, garlic and peppercorns in a quart jar.  Pour about 2 cups filtered water into jar and stir.  Add whole cucumbers or slices into jar until there are 2 inches of head-space at the top of the jar.  Cover with additional filtered water if necessary (you want the cucumbers to be submerged).

Place lids on jars and let sit on counter, at room temperature, 2 days for slices or 3 days for whole pickles.  Transfer to cold storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment